Sunday, October 01, 2006

Paris est trop cher!

So, if you were to ask a group of American students studying abroad in Paris or Berlin or London (Oxford, Cambridge, etc) or Madrid (to some extent, but not as much so) what the worst part about spending a quarter in Western Europe is, what would they tell you? They would say it's exactly that: spending a quarter in Europe. The Euro, as many of you know, is currently worth about one dollar and thirty cents give or take up to five cents on any given day. And I'm not even going to start on the pound. But nonetheless, McDonald's still sees fit to charge 5 euro 50 plus for one of their meals. Economists (or should I say The Ecconomist) often talk about the BigMac index for a comparison of prices across borders; well let me tell you - the BigMac is not equivalently priced in France. It's at least 10-15% more expensive over here than it is in the States. Granted, it does use different (read: better) beef and comes with infinitely more flavorful fries (forgive me, I had a day of American food binging), but still! Quel frustrant!

I guess that's a lesson in cultural differences for you. McDonalds is a completely different instution over here; in fact, anything with an American theme is much more popular here than it is in the U.S. While our citizens may not always like their own culture (or, say, 'fearless' leaders), our leaders have been infinitely successful at exporting Americanism worldwide. It's shocking really, and can gross the expat who isn't feeling a sense of homesickness (read: not me) to insanity. But right now, it's nice to have those little touches of home, albeit prepackaged in an easily exportable formule francaise (or, europeene), whenever I need one. I'm taking it slow, I suppose: yesterday, McDo; today, Quick (basically the French version of McDonalds or Burger King or whatever fast food chain you like...I think more Burger King than McDo though); tomorrow, La Brioche Duree (authentic French food, but fast); then finally authentic French cuisine all the time. Actually, I had some French-Chinese food today for dinner...that was a really interesting experience. Can you say MSG?

So yeah, right now I'm still a little bit in the culture shock phase, but I wouldn't call it so much a shock as an amazement. I am amazed and fascinated with French culture, more so now than ever. And I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I feel French, you know. It's like one of those feelings that you were born out of place or that you don't quite fit in your family or culture or whatever. French culture is a culture that fits me well. But, as I'm discovering more and more each day (which is probably the real "shock" about culture shock)...I'm an American, through and through.

Anyway, I love being here in Paris. It's the little things about this city that really make you appreciate it: the beautiful parks with their 5 million statues (seriously, Luxembourg must have about 5 statues per square meter), the banks of the river Seine (complete with naked sunbathers), the free admission to museums the first Sunday of every month, the plethora of places to go and things to see on a Sunday night that make you wish you weren't stuck at home reading. This is really the city, it's like what every other city aspires to be. Neighborhood charm, big city opportunities, and everything easily accessible. It's amazing, and I look forward to what lies ahead!

No comments: