Monday, July 17, 2006

Life as a Tourist

So Nick and Jon came up this weekend. It was good times, we went to the city for a night, hung out with a friend of Nick's, did some toursity things. We saw North Beach, and I was really excited to go to City Lights! We also walked our asses off, Jon and Nick more than me, but still. It's kind of strange, I mean, being a tourist but not really being one. It's like hypocritical. I felt like I was a tourist in the city, but at the same time I feel like a local resident. I wonder if that ever goes away. Maybe if I actually lived in the city it would be different. We'll see if that ever happens.

Right. Well, I don't have much to say. All I can really say is that it's really good to know you have some good friends, friends who just seem like the type you could never get tired of, the type that you can have a good time with no matter where you are. I dunno, I mean, it's like, the three of us - in fact, the majority of my Orange County friends - grew up together and, well, now we just know so much about each other and are so much a staple in each others' lives that we have no where to grow but closer. Now I'm being all sappy and weird, so I'm gonna stop. But, well, Nick I know you can see this, and Jon, if you read it, I'm glad to have spent this weekend with you guys. It was a great time. Makes me realize how much I miss Orange County - or, well, the people there.

Alright, well, here's looking forward to being a tourist over again and going to Paris! In all truth, though, you have to get the toursity things out of the way before you can really come to know a city. It's all about the discovery; and alot of the time that's the best part. So, while I utterly detest the sight of toursity-types fumbling with their maps and questioning the MUNI driver as to how to pay the fare and what the transfer does and whether they should go to Pier 39 or to Ghirardelli Square or to Alcatraz, well, I realize I did that at one point not to long ago myself. Only after you've done all those things can you discover the real special parts of a city, and, this weekend, I guess the lesson for me is to let the tourists do their thing, since, well, they just want to learn. Something we all do.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Talk all you want, but NEVER badmouth Ghiradelli. I don't care if I LIVE in that city, I'm going there every day. And you won't be invited!

Seriously, though...good seeing you.

Nick said...

....call it artistic license. No, you didn't step on me, as I was wide awake and shifted to avoid you. But it wouldn't have sounded as cool that way.